Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Winter's Tale of Lunch

According to the National Weather Service, meteorological winter is half over.   It is defined as the coldest three months of the year, December, January and February.    Actual winter goes from December 21 to March 21.  I'll go with the shortest possible--so 44 more days.  

To pass time and stay connected, my friend Susie and I have lunch at one another's homes a couple of times a month.  We laugh together and talk, talk, talk, much like we did in history class senior year in HS.  At our first lunch experience, which you can read about on www/driftwoodgardens.com/ladieswholunch,  Susie made butternut squash soup from a recipe on Pinterest and it was delicious.  I've made it several times since and it has become a family favorite.    I ordered it recently at a restaurant, and it came with melted goat cheese and a diced Granny Smith apple on top.  I knew I wanted to share this delicious version with Susie.


It is relatively easy to make.  Saute an onion in a little oil, add peeled and diced butternut squash,  (I cheated this time and got fresh precut at Shop-rite) , a quart of broth, some cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg (1 tsp each).  Boil until tender and then use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree.  The fun comes with the addings on top.  Susie served hers with chopped pecans, which were delicious.  My husband likes it with spaetzle (floury dumplings) like his mom makes.   This goat cheese version is my new favorite.


Warm and delicious, the goat cheese adds a creaminess to the soup and the apple a tart/sweet element.  Great for a cold winter day and it is Weight Watcher friendly.  



We always enjoy a salad as well.  This time I made some mixed greens with beets, red onions and a few add ins - craisins, goat cheese and chopped pecans.   Dressing - optional.



Susie brought the "fruit".  In this case, red "fruit.  A divine complement to the lunch and a divine way to spend a winter afternoon.  



1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! Love the beets in the salad!

    ReplyDelete