Sunday, February 5, 2012

Soup du Jour

I love a bowl of hot soup on a cold day.  As long as the bread machine remains in the basement, it's the opportunity to fill your belly healthfully and warm you with comfort.

Yesterday, I made a huge pot of vegetable soup.  I sauteed carrots, onion, and celery in a large stock pot and added canned and boxed broth.  Then I dumped in diced tomatoes from the can as well as one large can of crushed tomatoes.  I season with lots of pepper and use two bullion cubes in 2 cups of water to salt the soup.  Then I add the veggies we have - it was green beans (canned) and fresh spinach this time.  I particularly like fresh, diced zucchini, but it was not available.  I let it simmer to marry the flavors and 30 minutes later there is SOUP.
The base veggies sizzle till tender.


Dumping in the liquid and heating to a boil.


Fresh spinach is the final ingredient.


A bowlful topped with "stinky" cheese from the Italian deli in Philadelphia.  (Thank you, Louis!)

By the time the soup is ready, lucious smells fill the house and call the family to lunch.  Think of this as a Souperbowl lunch.  (Suggested by my daugher, corny, I know). 

No comments:

Post a Comment