Friday, April 29, 2011

Salad Days, Too.

Some additional salad selections for your "Oh, my gosh, summer is just around the corner and I still need to lose a few more pounds."  The term "girlie salad" was coined by Aunt Tracy and you'll see why.



The basis for the girlie salads are tender spring lettuces as well as spinach.  Delicate - like us, LOL.  I always add thinly sliced English cucumber and the smallest grape tomatoes available.  Each of the salads contain the mixed greens, a meat or fish, a fruit and some nut pieces.  Cheese crumbles are always a good addition.



I am the only one in the family that likes salmon, so I make this just for myself.  This girlie treat has salmon, sliced orange sections, and slivered almonds.  I cooked the salmon with some Asian seasoning on top and made a dressing of low sodium teryaki sauce, sesame seed and a drizzle of olive oil.  Very substantial luncheon choice for for those two hour gym sessions in the late afternoon.



This is Meredith's favorite.  She adds chicken, strawberries, walnuts and fat free feta cheese. The chicken breast is roasted with pepper, garlic, and balsamic vinegar in a hot oven (400).   She just drizzles additional balsamic vinegar over the salad, but I prefer a fat free fruity vinaigrette.




This final salad was inspired by Tracy.  She first served it at Nanny's 80th birthday luncheon and from that moment, I was hooked.  What is better than pears and gorgonzola crumbles?  Fresh bosc pears are nice to use, I only had canned today.   I added some blueberries and usually use that same fruity vinaigrette that I like so much.  The salad is equally delicious with romaine lettuce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment